Thursday, February 02, 2006

Finished reading The Spiritual Universe

I just don't seem to be able to blog early in the evening. And when I blog this late (it's nearly 1 a.m. my time) it wakes me up so I wind up going to bed around 4!

Angus and I are supposed to get up at 6 a.m. and go to breakfast - this is my idea - since he's not working tomorrow. For over a year we've talked about going to this great eatery called Billie's for breakfast. Now we'll finally do it - if I'm not comatose five hours from now. Let's see - I have 8 minutes to finish this blog, change the date on my website, brush my teeth, get into my jammies and crawl into bed.

What are the odds I'll make that? Especially since I have photos to upload?

I've been working on redecorating the kitchen. I'm through, for the most part. I have a few things to touch up here and there. Also want to put up the border in our bedroom that has been sitting around for two years.

My real work, of course, is creating my Peace/Forgiveness Collage and finishing the edit of my novel, The Loved One's Club.

Tonight I finally finished a book I had been reading: The Spiritual Universe: One Physicist's Vision of Spirit, Soul, Matter and Self by Fred Alan Wolf.

It was not easy going. Reading examples that demonstrate principles of quantum physics - and having trouble understanding them - made me feel senile.

I know age plays a big role in how open one's mind (and neural connectors) are to new thoughts and concepts, but, really, I was shocked at the resistance my mind was giving me to understanding what I was reading.

Fortunately, most of the book was understandable to me - it didn't contain completely new concepts. But in regard to the mathematical/conceptual explanations that were completely foreign to me, I felt like my brain was like a brick wall - it refused to understand!

Otherwise, I found the book exciting, for Wolf is a reputable physicist who has presented a quantum model that explains how the soul works and how spirit is the flip side of matter. In addition, he gives a detailed history of how science has viewed God - being first reliant upon the idea of God and then moving into a purely materialistic perspective.

The problem is that science cannot verify consciousness. We know we're conscious, but, according to science - since consciousness can neither be located in space or time nor verified in experiments - for all intents and purposes, consciousness does not exist!

Clearly science can't provide all the answers through its current methodology. Yet its methodology of reproducible results is a sound basis for research.

What was most extraordinary for me is that Wolf has come to the conclusion - and he explains how this is a function of quantum physics - that there is only one mind and all our minds are part of it.

This is a relief. It explains so much. It explains why Master Minding works, why prayer works, why the 100th monkey phenomena exists.

It also gives credence to my intuitive feeling that if we can calm our own minds - bring peace to our own inner selves through resolving our conflicts - we actually create peace and resolve conflicts in society as a by-product.

There is so much I could say about this book, but it's late. I've used more than my 8 minutes.

I took two more books out of the library: The Hebrew Alphabet - because these letters are considered to contain sacred energy and I want to understand something about what they mean and what energy they are supposed to carry - and The 72 Names of God.

This latter book practically jumped off the shelf and into my hands - I kid you not - so I knew as soon as I held it that it was coming home with me.

Things do hold energy. I know that, but every once in a while it seems I need a tangible reminder.

Wolf also wrote about a film called Wings of Desire. Note to self: see if I can find it.

So - shall I get a few kitchen photos up?

Here's just one.

I need to put the rest in PhotoShop, cut them down, resize them, flip some of them. But here's the new border above the fauxed wall. It really is fun.

I think, instead of quoting Rumi, tonight I'll quote a portion of one of my own prayers:

Through me, truth is spoken.
Through me, wrongs are righted.
Through me, bravery survives.
Through me, a free spirit lives.
Through me, compassion has a voice.
Through me, love prevails.

I am a force for good.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home