Saturday, December 10, 2005

Parables Of Faith And Love

This is from the blog Muslim in Dubai. I think it is beautiful.

It is said that one night, a burglar crept into the house of Malik bin Dinar (one of the pious predecessors) looking to steal something only to be disappointed to find nothing worth stealing. Also, he found that the occupant of the house (Malik bin Dinar) was busily praying in the night.

When Malik noticed the thief, he calmly told him: "Oh brother, may Allah forgive you, you entered my home and did not find something worth taking, but I will not allow you to leave without gaining any benefit".

Malik brought him a jug of water, and told him: "If you were to perform ablution and pray two units of prayers, you would leave with something better than that which you came to find".

Needless to say, this shocked the burglar and he was quite humbled by this request, and he agreed.

After performing his ablution and praying, the thief said: "Oh Malik, would I be imposing on you if I were to pray two more units of prayers?"

Malik told him he could pray as much as he wanted, and the thief kept on praying till morning.

After finishing his night prayers, he asked Malik: "Oh Malik, would I be imposing on you if I were to spend the day with you, for I intend to fast."

Malik told him he could stay as long as he wanted, so he stayed a few days with him, fasting in the day time and praying in the night.

When he left Malik's house, he met a thief whom he knew, and the thief saw happiness in the repented one's face, he told him: "I think you have found your treasure," to which he replied, "I found Malik bin Dinar, I went to steal from him, but he ended up stealing something me, my heart!"

As I posted, in response to reading this, there is a parallel teaching in Christianity. In the Bible Jesus is quoted in Luke 27-30:

But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.

To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold you tunic either.

Give to everyone who ask of you. And from him to takes away your goods do not ask them back.

2 Comments:

At December 11, 2005 2:08 AM, Blogger Absology said...

Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!
[041.034 ] Quran

 
At December 17, 2005 11:28 PM, Blogger Clyo said...

That is a lovely sentiment. Thank you for the reference. I will think about putting it on my prayer site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home