Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Wrapping Gifts

Here's a 1998 photo of my old basset, Buddy, (deceased) and he was just as sweet as he looks. It was a black and white photograph. I colorized it in PhotoShop and sell it as a Christmas card through Cafe Press. I did it more as an attempt to immortalize him, and his goodness, than to make a buck. I put this image on a cup and ordered one for myself. But it is bittersweet to drink from it.

Here's a bit of a festive looking tree at the garden store we went to on Saturday. They had spectacular pointsettias. There was a very nice labrador retriever, too, and I petted her, but she was camera shy and trotted off before I could snap the shutter.

The day has escaped me. No editing done, nor work on the collage. Three bags of cranberries strung but not yet draped on the tree. It will need two more bags.

Wrapped Angus's presents, downloaded a few photos of pointsettias from our shopping trip on Saturday.

Sent an e-mail to Senator Nelson opposing the defense bill into which, at the last minute, a provision has been added to allow oil drilling in the Arctic's National Wildlife Refuge. There is no end of dirty tricks by the Bush administration to further its plundering agendas.

Sunday Caroline and I went shopping at Masonville for two hours. We had a good time. I really like Caroline - Angus's daughter.

At one point a salesclerk remarked to her, about me, that "I like your mother's boots." [the red ones I wear everywhere] Of course, I'm not Caroline's mother. I don't feel I can even claim "stepmother" as a title.
Besides, the word has such a wicked and unfeeling connotation.

Yet Caroline did not correct her, but let it stand. And it was nice, for that instant, to pretend to be her mother, to be allowed to be thought of as her mother.

Caroline's mother is beautiful and competent and has always been in her life. She is an excellent, intelligent and caring person; so Caroline hardly needs me to fill that role.

The best I can ever be, I suppose, is like some sort of aunt.

In any event, I am grateful for the time I got to spend with her.

Angus could not find his Santa Claus tie this morning so I gave him the tie I bought him for Christmas. It's quite lovely, I think, although its pattern is snowmen. He called and said it was a great hit at school today.

I think I'll walk downtown and buy some wrapping paper, maybe a coffee. I need to get out for a bit even though the sun is low and the afternoon nearly spent.



Shams
and actual sunlight,
help me now,
being in the middle of being partly in my self,
and partly outside.


From The Illustrated Rumi

2 Comments:

At January 02, 2006 6:46 AM, Blogger the.exile said...

Happy New Years too, Clyo.

Best of Luck from across the Pond.

J

 
At January 07, 2006 12:18 AM, Blogger Clyo said...

Thanks, J.

Clyo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home